The Jockeys’ Guild has reached an agreement with Parx Racing, resolving their dispute in a manner that will not alter the current on-track accident policy at the Pennsylvania track.
After discussions between the parties March 18, all jockeys will continue to be covered by the $1 million on-track accident insurance policy both in the morning during training and in the afternoon for racing, according to a statement from the Jockeys’ Guild. It was agreed that Parx can require the jockeys, who ride or participate in racing, to file any lawsuit in the county in which the track is located.
The parties have also agreed to work together, along with horsemen, to create the safest racing environment possible for both human and equine athletes, the guild said.
“For the past 75 years the Jockeys’ Guild has been working to assure the safety of the jockeys, as well as their interests and be a voice for the riders in the industry,” national manager Terry Meyocks said. “We look forward to working with Parx management in the future.”
“I am pleased that there will not be an interruption of racing at Parx, and that we were able to resolve this matter in an amicable fashion without any impact on the horsemen, fans, or jockeys,” said Joe Wilson, chief operating officer for Parx Racing.
Racing will continue as regularly scheduled March 21, with first post at 12:55 p.m. EDT.
Earlier in the week, more than 50 jockeys had notified Parx in writing of their intentions not to accept mounts until management could unconditionally guarantee they are covered by the Parx on-track insurance policy.