The eight jockeys lining up for Saturday’s Belmont Stakes have a combined nine victories in the final leg of the Triple Crown. The leader with three wins is Hall of Famer Gary Stevens, who guided Thunder Gulch (1995), Victory Gallop (1998), and Point Given (2001) to victory in the Belmont. Stevens, who will ride Tale of Verve on Saturday, has a lifetime Belmont record of 10–3–2–1 for an impressive 60% in the money record.
Mike Smith and John Velazquez have two wins each while Kent Desormeaux and Joel Rosario have one win each. Rosario has come in the money on 75% of his Belmont mounts and is looking to repeat with a win aboard Frosted. Desormeaux has also been solid in the Belmont by coming in the money on 50% of his mounts. One to watch out for is Javier Castellano. Even though he doesn’t have a Belmont victory, he has ridden consistent in all eight tries and shown up in the money on 63% of his mounts.
Post Position – Horse – Jockey – Belmont Record
1) Mubtaahij (IRE) – Irad Ortiz Jr. (1-0-0-0)
2) Tale of Verve – Gary Stevens (10-3-2-1)
3) Madefromlucky – Javier Castellano (8-0-2-3)
4) Frammento – Mike Smith (16-2-2-2)
5) American Pharoah – Victor Espinoza (4-0-1-0)
6) Frosted – Joel Rosario – (4-1-0-2)
7) Keen Ice – Kent Desormeaux (8-1-2-1)
8) Materiality – John Velazquez (18-2-3-1)